DuPage County Construction Dispute Attorneys
Experienced and Skilled Construction Litigation Lawyers in Illinois
An array of issues can arise from construction-related endeavors, even if the project is meticulously planned and well-managed. At Momkus McCluskey LLC, we represent owners, developers, contractors (general and subcontractors), suppliers, manufacturers, designers, engineers, lenders and insurers relative to their construction-based legal needs.
We handle claims and lawsuits for:
- Breach of Contract
- Unjust Enrichment
- Breach of Warranty
- Collection-related Actions (including mechanic’s liens)
Our team is equally adept at representation in mediations and arbitrations, as well as commercial litigation and trial. In addition, our experienced insurance litigation and coverage attorneys specialize in construction-related insurance policies, including opinion letters and actions for declaratory judgment.
Construction Disputes in Illinois
With construction projects, several ‘moving parts’ must be coordinated. The bigger the project, the more complex the contracts must be to protect the interests of the parties involved. No matter how well-planned the project, things can go wrong and disputes can arise. Some of the common issues involved in construction disputes include:
- Scope of Work: Disputes often arise between the owner and contractor, contractor and subcontractor, or other relevant parties over the work to be provided. Various parties often interpret plans and specifications differently, particularly when the contracts are written in a vague or ambiguous way.
- Inadequate Site Access or Conditions: Disputes may arise over whether there is reasonable access to the construction site or feasible conditions under which the contractors or subcontractors can perform the work.
- Product Defects: If materials are defective or lacking in quantity, a dispute may arise among parties involved in a construction project.
- Quality of Work: Sometimes the parties agree on the work to be done but a dispute develops over the quality of the work performed. Poor workmanship and significant project delays may fall into this category.
- Changes and Extra Work: When extra time or expense is required to complete the work, and this is out of the scope of the original contract, disputes may arise about who is responsible for the extra costs resulting from these changes.
Resolving your Construction Dispute
There are a number of ways construction disputes can be handled. Provisions in a contract typically allow for termination for certain causes or under certain conditions. Many construction contracts also call for alternative dispute resolution (ADR) methods (such as arbitration and mediation). If these or direct negotiation do not provide adequate relief, commercial or civil litigation may be necessary.
To schedule a consultation to speak with one of our attorneys about your construction matter, contact Momkus McCluskey LLC today at (630) 434-0400. We provide counsel and advice from our team of experienced construction dispute attorneys in DuPage County, Chicago, Cook County, Kane County, Will County, Lake County, McHenry County, Kendall County, DeKalb County and throughout Illinois.