Areas Of Practice
Gerald Cassioppi has extensive legal and business experience and is also a Certified Public Accountant (CPA). He has provided legal counsel to a wide range of businesses, from Fortune 100 to start-up and rapid growth companies. He specializes in commercial transactions, executive compensation, employee benefits, real estate contracts and leases, and has represented companies regarding board of directors, shareholder and other corporate governance matters.
- Mr. Cassioppi was named 2012 Lawyer of the Year by the DuPage County Bar Association.
- Prior to joining Nyberg & Cassioppi, Mr. Cassioppi held the position of Vice-President, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary at United Asset Coverage, Inc., ranked No. 24 on Inc. magazine’s 500 Fastest Growing Private Companies in its first year of eligibility. As a senior executive of this telecommunication services company, Mr. Cassioppi had broad management responsibility for key legal and business matters, including corporate governance, commercial transactions and customer contract matters.
- Mr. Cassioppi began his career as an attorney with the law firm of McDermott, Will & Emery in Chicago. From 1987 until 2000, Mr. Cassioppi served with The Quaker Oats Company Law Department at its international headquarters in Chicago, where he became Counsel and Assistant Corporate Secretary in 1992. At Quaker, Mr. Cassioppi concentrated in securities, corporate governance, acquisitions and divestitures, executive compensation, severance review and negotiation, and employee benefits. His work included special and sensitive projects for the Board of Directors, senior executive employment issues and general and specialized contract matters (e.g., Michael Jordan/Gatorade).
Mr. Cassioppi holds his Juris Doctor degree from the University of Illinois College of Law. He also received his Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting, with honors, in 1979 from the University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana.
Mr. Cassioppi and his wife, Stephanie, have long been active in community leadership roles with government and civic organizations. He has served as a member and Vice President of the Naperville District 203 School Board, a member of the Naperville Transportation Advisory Board, Treasurer of The Rotary Club of Naperville, and Chairman of the Business Law Committee for the DuPage County Bar Association. He is a member of the Illinois State Bar Association, and is presently Chairman of the DuPage County Ethics Commission, President of the DuPage County Bar Association, and formerly served as its General Counsel. He is also Treasurer for Naperville Community Television.
Stephanie has served as a member and president of the Naperville Public Library Board and currently is on the Associate Board of Trustees at North Central College. The couple and their two sons reside in Naperville.
- University of Illinois College of Law, Illinois
- University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, Illinois, 1979
- B.S., Accounting with Honors
Professional Associations and Memberships
- DuPage County Bar Association, President
- DuPage County Bar Association, Former General Counsel
- DuPage County Bar Association, Former Chairman of Business Law Committee
- Naperville Transportation Advisory Board, Former Member
- DuPage County Ethics Commission, Chairman
- Choose DuPage, Former Secretary
- Naperville Community Television, Treasurer
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member
- Naperville District 203 School Board, Former Vice President
- The Rotary Club of Naperville, Former Treasurer
Honors and Awards
- DuPage County Bar Association, Attorney of the Year, 2012
- Daily Herald, Community All-Star, 2000
PAST EMPLOYMENT POSITIONS
- United Asset Coverage, Inc., Vice President, General Counsel, and Secretary
- McDermott, Will & Emery, Attorney
- The Quaker Oats Company, Counsel & Assistant Corporate Secretary