John D. Purdy, Jr., B.A. (Econ.), Yale University, 1963 and J.D. 1966, University of Chicago Law School. Prior to joining Momkus McCluskey, he was an associate and then a full equity partner in Ross & Hardies (1966-1982), a member in Siemon, Larsen & Purdy (1983-1991), and a member in Martin, Craig, Chester & Sonnenschein (1991-2002). In February 2002, he joined Momkus McCluskey as a member. John concentrates his practice in the representation of lenders and numerous closely held businesses, for which he frequently functions as outside general counsel, and the owners of such businesses. Among his clients are individuals, banks and asset based lenders, software developers, international freight forwarders and custom brokers and an independent record storage company. John has attained the Martindale-Hubbell AV rating. His experience and achievements include:
- Representation of lenders in all phases of real estate and asset based loan transactions, including the negotiation and documentation of such loans.
- Involvement in business transactions of all kinds, including formation, operation and sale of corporations, partnerships and limited liability companies.
- Representing owners and lessors and lessees of real estate in purchase, sale, lease and financing transactions, including purchase and sale agreements, office and industrial leases, architects and construction contracts and financing agreements.
- Advising his clients and their owners as to succession planning and estate planning issues and real estate partnerships.
John is a member of the American, Illinois State and Chicago Bar Associations. Born in Chicago, he currently resides in the Village of Clarendon Hills.
In addition to his law practice, he was for seven years a principal in a closely held computer software company, which has given him a working knowledge of the business and legal issues facing software developers, as well as those encountered generally by small businesses and their owners.
An elected or appointed municipal official for more than 25 years, John has lectured on land use and municipal topics at seminars presented by Prentice Hall and the Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education (IICLE).
He was a member and then Chairman of the Zoning Board/Planning Commission of the Village of Clarendon Hills from 1970 to 1983. He also served as Village Trustee of Clarendon Hills from 1983 to 1989 and as Village President from 1989 to 1995. John also serves on the Board of Directors of the Community Renewal Society, and is a former Treasurer of that organization. He is also a former Director of the United Way of Suburban Chicago and former Trustee of the Union Church of Hinsdale. In addition, John has served as a Director of the University Club of Chicago, chaired its House Committee and served two terms on its Admissions Committee.
Year Joined Organization:
Lecture, Land Use and Municipal Topics, Prentice Hall
Lecture, Land Use and Municipal Topics, Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education (IICLE)
Martindale-Hubbell AV Rating
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- American Bar Association, Member
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member
- Chicago Bar Association, Member
- Planning Commission of the Village of Claredon Hills, 1968-70
- Zoning Board / Planning Commission of the Village of Clarendon Hills, 1970-83
- Clarendon Hills, Village Trustee, 1983-1983
- Clarendon Hills, Village President, 1989-1995
- United Way of Suburban Chicago, Former Director
- Union Church of Hinsdale, Former Trustee
- Community Renewal Society, Board of Directors
- Community Renewal Society, Former Treasurer
- University Club of Chicago, Director
- University Club of Chicago, Chair, House Committee
Past Employment Positions:
- Ross & Hardies, Full Equity Partner, 1966 - 1982
- Siemon, Larsen & Purdy, Member, 1983 - 1991
- Martin, Craig, Chester & Sonnenschein, Member, 1991 - 2002
- Clarendon Hills, Village Trustee, 1983 - 1989
- Clarendon Hills, Village President, 1989 - 1995